As we tiptoe into spring 2022, there are many trends we’re keeping our eyes peeled for, like the world’s current obsession with vintage investment handbags, accessories, and jewelry. During the Pandemic, retailers reported an increase in the sales of pre-owned designer items — especially by Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, and Hermės — therefore, it should come as no surprise that the pre-owned market is booming, and that’s great news for you and your designer closet.
FASHION TRENDS RECYCLE AGAIN
While bucket bags, oversized totes, and platforms seemingly ruled the runways, so did the very Carrie Bradshaw-esque (and 90s trend) of belly chains, extra-wide belts, monograms, and bags designed in unique silhouettes and neon hues.
With the 90s and early aughts styles still ruling the catwalks and sidewalks of the biggest cities, and Candace Bushnell’s SATC sequel And Just Like That… streaming on HBOMax, nostalgia is everywhere. From the Fendi Baguette to the Dior Saddle Bag, and a pair of Manolo Blahniks, the world is fondly looking back on the biggest fashion hits of yester-year and yesterday, today.
And with new Creative Directors taking over the reins at luxury brands, such as Kim Jones at Fendi, new life has been breathed into these time-honored design houses to create new industry trends, and in some ways make them cool again.
TOP 10 ACCESSORY TRENDS SPOTTED ON THE 2022 RUNWAYS
The runways at the Spring/Summer 2022 fashion shows were awash with eccentric accessories, chunky jewelry, silver-tone hardware, monograms, and casual cool handbags as seen at Prada, Fendi, and Saint Laurent.
Let’s take a look at some of 2022’s biggest trends we think you should know about right now.
- BUCKET BAGS - While Louis Vuitton’s Noe Bucket Bag has been referred to as the original, bucket bags have gotten a stylish update for 2022, and that includes the Mansur Gavriel too. This season they’re crafted in smooth leathers with glossy finishes, contrast stitching, and eye-catching embellishments.
- OVERSIZED CARRYALLS - Ultra-roomy totes in slouchy silhouettes will still be big (literally and figuratively) for 2022 and beyond. Whether heading to the gym, the office, or hitting the road for a long weekend, these essential, fashionable carryalls have been updated in puffed and quilted designs with unique touches like chains and ties, in a wide range of materials.
- CROCHET, WICKER, & WOVEN - While it’s too early for crochet and raffia bags — unless you live at the beach — this crafty, artisan-inspired trend will be huge again in 2022. These breezy bags (and other accessories) will make a reappearance in a wide range of colors, details, and materials.
- CLASSIC TOTES - As everyone heads back to the office, the perfect work tote will become a weekday essential all over again. From the Dior Book Tote to the Fendi Peekaboo, and the Bottega Chain Leather Tote, these structured, briefcase-like carryalls were all over the runways.
- BUG-EYE SUNGLASSES - In the late 2000s, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen rocked this trend, and now oversized sunglasses are back and bigger than ever. From Prada to Balenciaga, and Dior, statement sunnies are the best way to look cool on a sunny day.
- CHAIN REACTIONS - From Milan to Paris and NYC, chunky chain details were all over the 2022 runways. Whether it’s a Chanel chain belt, a chain-link bag, or an oversized chain necklace, these chunky metal designs come in a wide range of hues like gold, silver, rose gold, and gunmetal, and different weights and widths to fit everyone’s style.
- WIDE WAIST BELTS - Wide waist belts were a huge trend in the early 2000s and now they’re big again. After over a year of dressing from the waist up, designer belts are the one accessory that was spotted on the runways of Bottega Veneta, Loewe, and Balmain. From the corset belt to the obi belt, and extra wide logo buckles, the wide waist belt makes stylish creating ensembles a breeze.
- LOGO JEWELRY - There are many ways to display designer love, and in 2022 logo jewelry will be everywhere. From Dior Bracelets to Louis Vuitton Earrings, and the Hermes Clic-Clac to Chanel Cuffs, logomania will make a statement on all things silver, gold, and rose gold.
- HOBO BAGS - The perfect hobo bag is classy, stylish, and cozy (since it fits comfortably underneath the armpit) and it’s back for 2022. This must-have tote from the early aughts is a blast from the past with the Gucci Jackie 1961, the Prada Cleo, Bottega Veneta’s Intrecciato Hobo Bag. and now Balenciaga’s Le Cagole Shoulder Bag.
- SCARVES - Whether it’s worn around the neck or the head, a silky scarf will be one of 2022’s biggest trends. Spotted on the runways of Balenciaga, Fendi, and Versace, and in a wide range of hues and prints, scarves add a stylish pop of color and a touch of refined elegance.
Content and images for this blog post have been referenced from LePrix.